Street resurfacing and natural gas infrastructure update
Tropical Storm Cindy brought more rain to Pensacola last week, along with schedule disruptions for the city’s $30 million street resurfacing and natural gas infrastructure improvements program.
Street resurfacing and natural gas teams have adjusted their schedules in hopes of better weather the week of June 25. If the weather permits, resurfacing crews plan to work on the following segments of Palafox Street:
Sun., June 25:
Garden Street to Main Street
Mon., June 26:
Palafox Place to Main Street (begin)
Tues., June 27:
Garden Street to West Jackson Street (begin)
Palafox Place to Main Street (complete).
Wed., June 28:
Garden Street to West Jackson Street (complete)
The work on Palafox Street is slated for overnight hours to minimize impacts for drivers, businesses, and adjacent property owners. Once Palafox Street is complete, work downtown will transition to Main and Tarragona Streets.
In the central part of the city (Paving Group 8), the contractor started on A Street over the weekend. It’s weather dependent, but they plan to work south of Garden Street up until Monday, June 26, then north of Garden Street beginning Tuesday, June 27. The contractor’s goal is to mill and re-pave four to five blocks each day.
Work in the western portion of the city (Paving Group 9) is more than 90 percent complete. The work is “on hold” until construction (by others) around the Government Street retention pond is completed. That will allow the contractor to finish the remaining 10 percent of the work in Group 9.
Cars parked on the street must be removed before work can begin in either the street resurfacing or natural gas improvements program. Vehicles left on the street are subject to relocation. Construction personnel are going door-to-door 24-48 hours in advance of work to notify property owners of the parking restrictions.
More information on the street resurfacing program is available by contacting the city’s engineering consultant, Atkins, Inc., (850) 380-9188. Questions about the natural gas distribution system work may be referred to Pensacola Energy, (850) 474-5300.