Aug. 22, 2023
City of Pensacola Recycling Update
The City of Pensacola is evaluating changes to recycling and sanitation services for City Sanitation customers, with a goal of improving services and minimizing ineffective recycling efforts.
The City of Pensacola Sanitation Services Department currently uses ECUA's Materials Recycling Facility to process recyclable materials from City Sanitation customers. Starting Oct. 1, 2023, the city will no longer use ECUA's facility and will end citywide curbside recycling for City Sanitation customers.
After Oct. 1, the City of Pensacola will continue to work proactively to determine an effective recycling solution with ECUA, which may include opt-in curbside recycling services and/or a staffed drop-off recycling facility in partnership with ECUA.
The City of Pensacola will continue to offer the recycling drop-off center on Summit Boulevard after Oct. 1, providing containers for residents to continue to recycle eligible items including cardboard, plastic, glass and more.
The decision to end curbside recycling was the result of several factors, including:
- Recycling from City Sanitation customers averaged more than 50% contamination when delivered to ECUA's recycling facility, resulting in the loads being rejected and taken to the landfill instead of being recycled as intended.
- Due to rising costs associated with recycling, ECUA increased its drop-off rates for municipal customers including the City of Pensacola’s Sanitation Department. In order to continue mandatory curbside recycling service for all customers, the city would have needed to increase rates for all City Sanitation customers.
- This change will allow the city to evaluate the effectiveness of recycling and determine the most viable solution. The city's goal is to ensure that customers who want to recycle can have confidence that their efforts are as effective as possible.
What are the next steps?
- The city is working on details for a one-year pilot program that will be implemented after curbside recycling ends on Oct. 1, 2023.
- This pilot program may include opt-in curbside recycling services, or the option for customers to have curbside garbage collection twice a week in lieu of recycling.
- Additional details will be announced to customers as they are finalized, and before the changes are implemented. Please stay tuned to the City of Pensacola website and Facebook for updates. Customers will also receive information in the mail prior to implementation.
The public's patience and understanding is appreciated as Mayor D.C. Reeves and City of Pensacola leadership continue to work proactively on recycling solutions with ECUA.
For more information, please visit cityofpensacola.com/recyclinginfo.