Aug. 24, 2020MEDIA CONTACT:
Tropical Storm Update from Escambia County Emergency Management
Escambia County and the City of Pensacola are closely monitoring Tropical Storm Marco and Tropical Storm Laura and are encouraging residents to take precautions as needed through Wednesday, Aug. 26.
The National Weather Service of Mobile
is forecasting local impacts to include:
- 3 to 6 inches of rain with isolated higher amounts up to around 10 inches along coastal areas
- A Flash Flood Watch is in effect through early Tuesday morning
- Wind gusts between 10-20 miles per hour through Tuesday evening, with gusts up to 35 miles per hour along the coast Monday evening
- High rip current risk through Thursday night
- High surf of 8-12 feet through the end of the week
- Minor beach erosion is also possible from building waves
Additionally, ECAT beach trolley service was suspended on Sunday, Aug. 23 and is expected to resume Thursday, Aug. 27.
As a reminder, residents are encouraged to prepare their disaster kits now
, which should include seven days of food and water supplies for after the storm arrives. Residents are also encouraged to fuel all vehicles and generators, and prepare all medications needed by family and pets
. Individuals should also consider having at least two emergency supply kits, one full kit at home and smaller portable kits in their workplace, vehicle or other places they spend time. Remember, this year's disaster kit might need to look a little different if you must go to a shelter—
make sure to include face coverings, hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
The Escambia County Public Works Department dispersed sand at the following locations Friday afternoon, Aug. 21, and there is still sand available:
- Baars Field Athletic Park - 13001 Sorrento Road, Pensacola
- Brent Athletic Park - 4711 N. W St., Pensacola
- Don Sutton Park - 2320 Crabtree Church Road, Molino
- Equestrian Center - 7750 Mobile Highway, Pensacola
- Escambia County Road Department - 601 Highway 297-A, Pensacola
- Ferry Pass Middle School - 8355 Yancey Lane, Pensacola, sand will be on the northwest corner of school property on Parazine Street
- John R. Jones Jr. Athletic Park - 555 E. Nine Mile Road, Pensacola
- Travis M. Nelson Park - 4541 County Road 4, Pensacola
The sand is available on a first come, first serve basis. Residents must bring their own sandbags and shovels to one of the following locations. View map of sand locations here
. Follow These Tips to Prepare for a StormKnow Your Zone
– Go to BeReadyEscambia.com
to find out which evacuation zone you are in. Sign up for alerts on BeReadyEscambia.com.Know Your Home
– Is it newly built – possibly rated for a hurricane? Your safest place may be at home rather than a shelter due to COVID-19. Shelters will be announced later and will have masks and hand sanitizer.Know Your Plan
– plan ahead to stay with loved ones, friends or stay at a hotel away from the areaFollow these tips to stay safe during severe weather
With possible flooding, please do not drive into hazardous flood water: Turn Around Don't Drown®. Tips to maintain COVID-19 best practices while sheltering during severe weather:Stay informed with these additional local resources:
- Pay extra attention to local weather reports until the storm has moved through the area. Be sure to keep your weather radio on and your cell phone charged to ensure you can receive weather alerts.
- With the possibility of high winds, it is recommended that any lightweight outside furniture or equipment be secured before Wednesday morning.
- Organizations with planned outside activities during this Enhanced Risk period need to be weather aware and take the appropriate actions.
For the latest information on severe weather impacting Escambia County, residents are encouraged to sign up for emergency alerts on myescambia.com
, like Escambia County Emergency Management
on Facebook and follow @BeReadyEscambia
on Twitter.For updates from the City of Pensacola, sign up for email or text notifications through Notify Me, like City of Pensacola Government on Facebook and follow @cityofpensacola on Twitter.
For more information or general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. To stay informed about what's happening with City of Pensacola government, sign up for email or text notifications through Notify Me or follow @CityofPensacola on social media.