The City Attorney is appointed directly by the Mayor with the consent of the City Council. The current City Attorney is Charles Peppler.
- Acts as Legal Advisor for the City and all of its elected and appointed officers in all matters relating to their official powers and duties
- Attends all regular and special meetings of the City Council
- Prepares, or reviews for form and legal sufficiency, all ordinances and resolutions to be considered by the City Council
- Prepares, or reviews for form and legal sufficiency, all contracts, bonds and other written instruments that require City approval or signature
- Represents the interests of the City, its employees and elected and appointed officers
- Provides legal opinions when requested by the Mayor, the City Council and the City staff
- Represents all appointive City boards or agencies which are not provided with independent representation by law
- Represents the Community Redevelopment Agency
- Represents the City, its elected or appointed officials and employees in all complaints, suits, or controversies where the City, its employees, elected or appointed officials are named as parties
Please note that the City Attorney's office cannot represent or give legal advice to the general public. To secure legal representation, you should contact either your own private attorney, or you may contact the Florida Bar at 850-561-5600 or The Florida Bar website, the Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association 850-434-8135 or The Escambia-Santa Rosa Bar Association website, or the Northwest Florida Legal Services Office at 850-432-2336 or the Northwest Florida Legal Services Office website.