Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Waiver
NOTICE OF SECTION 8 HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM WAIVERS
City of Pensacola Housing Department
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act offers waivers for numerous statutory and regulatory requirements for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. The waivers are intended to allow administrative flexibility to housing agencies in response to the COVID-19 emergency.
Effective April 10, 2020, the City of Pensacola Housing Department adopted the following waivers to keep the Section 8 HCV program operational to the extent practicable. On July 2, 2020 HUD revised the April 10, 2020 PIH Notice to extend the period of allowing waivers to be utilized. Revised periods of waiver availability follow:
- The Public Housing Agency 5-Year and Annual Plans will be submitted to HUD on or before October 18, 2020.
- Self-certification of a participant’s income is allowed for both recertification and interim exams. Program participants and landlords do not have to complete the Request for Tenancy Continuation (RTC) form. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/2020.
- All delayed biennial inspections will be completed as soon as reasonably possible but no later than one year after the date the biennial inspection would have been required absent the waiver.
- Allow alternative methods to confirm repairs are completed for any Tenant Request, Owner Request, and Special Request Inspections. Extended to 12/31/2020.
- Housing Quality Standard Quality Control Inspections are suspended until October 31, 2020. Extended to 12/31/2020.
- Maximum occupancy standards are waived, if household composition for an assisted family, changes because of the COVID-19 emergency. Period of Availability – duration of the current lease or one year from July 2, 2020, whichever period of time is longer.
- Waive the requirement to adopt revisions to the Section 8 HCV program Administrative Plan. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/2020.
- Waive the requirement to conduct an oral Eligibility Briefing. Eligibility Briefings will be conducted by issuing an expanded information packet. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/2020.
- Extend the term of program participants’ vouchers to July 31, 2020. Period of Availability - 5/28/2020. Extended to 11/2/2020.
- Allow up to 120 days for the execution of a Housing Assistance Payment Contract. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/2020.
- Allow a participant to be absent from the unit beyond 180 days for extenuating circumstances such as hospitalization, extended stays at nursing homes, or caring for family members. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/2020
- For families reaching self-sufficiency, the Housing Assistance Payment contract may be extended beyond the 180 day automatic termination date. Period of Availability – 12/31/2020.