Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Waiver
NOTICE OF SECTION 8 HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM WAIVERS
City of Pensacola Housing Department
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act offers waivers for numerous statutory and regulatory requirements for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. The waivers are intended to allow administrative flexibility to housing agencies in response to the COVID-19 emergency.
Effective April 10, 2020, the City of Pensacola Housing Department adopted the following waivers to keep the Section 8 HCV program operational to the extent practicable. On July 2, 2020 HUD revised the April 10, 2020 PIH Notice to extend the period of allowing waivers to be utilized. Revised periods of waiver availability follow:
- The Public Housing Agency 5-Year and Annual Plans will be submitted to HUD on or before October 18, 2020. Completed
- Self-certification of a participant’s income is allowed for both recertification and interim exams. Program participants and landlords do not have to complete the Request for Tenancy Continuation (RTC) form. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/30/20. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) Monitoring. HUD is waiving the mandatory EIV monitoring requirements. Monthly or quarterly report must be downloaded to preserve the data for a particular month or quarter. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/30/20. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Waiting list opening and closing. HUD providing alternative public notice methods to include voicemail message on PHA main or general information telephone number and through PHA website. Period of Availably – 6/30/2021
- All delayed biennial inspections will be completed as soon as reasonably possible but no later than one year after the date the biennial inspection would have been required absent the waiver. PHA may rely on the owner’s certification that the owner has no reasonable basis to have knowledge that life-threatening conditions exist in the unit. Must require owner certification, if not inspected. Period Availability - 6/30/2021.
- Allow alternative methods to confirm repairs are completed for any Tenant Request, Owner Request, and Special Request Inspections. Extended to 12/30/20. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Housing Quality Standard Quality Control Inspections are suspended until October 31, 2021.
- Maximum occupancy standards are waived, if household composition for an assisted family, changes because of the COVID-19 emergency. Period of Availability – duration of the current lease or one year from November 30, 2020, whichever period of time is longer.
- Waive the requirement to adopt revisions to the Section 8 HCV program Administrative Plan. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Waive the requirement to conduct an oral Eligibility Briefing. Eligibility Briefings will be conducted by issuing an expanded information packet. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/20. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Extend the term of program participants’ vouchers to July 31, 2020. Period of Availability - 5/28/2020. Extended to 11/2/2020. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Allow up to 120 days for the execution of a Housing Assistance Payment Contract. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/20. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- Allow a participant to be absent from the unit beyond 180 days for extenuating circumstances such as hospitalization, extended stays at nursing homes, or caring for family members. Period of Availability – 7/31/2020. Extended to 12/31/20. Extended to 6/30/2021.
- For families reaching self-sufficiency, the Housing Assistance Payment contract may be extended beyond the 180 day automatic termination date. Period of Availability – 12/31/2020. Extended to 6/30/21.