VT MAE MRO Hangar at PNS
In September of 2014, Mayor Ashton Hayward signed the final lease agreement between the City of Pensacola and VT Mobile Aerospace Engineering Inc. (VT MAE) for the development of a Maintenance, Repair Overhaul (MRO) Hangar at the Pensacola International Airport.
Per the lease, the City of Pensacola will construct an aircraft hangar complex on nearly 19 acres at the Pensacola International Airport and lease the facilities to VT MAE for a 30-year term. The original configuration was designed to accommodate two wide-body aircraft inside of a 160,000 square foot MRO facility. In 2015, the design configuration was expanded to 173,452 square foot facility and will now have the ability to accommodate either two Boeing 777’s, four Boeing 757’s, or six Airbus A-320 sized aircraft.
The new MRO Hangar at the Pensacola International Airport will create 400 new jobs and will bring a new industry to the area. VT MAE will hire skilled personnel including Master Airplane Technicians, Aircraft Inspectors, Master Structures Technicians, Sheet Metal Mechanics, and Avionics Technicians. Local economic development agencies, local educational institutions, and VT MAE have worked together to implement training programs to create a sustainable workforce.
By working with VT MAE, Pensacola will be able to create quality, high-paying jobs and cement Pensacola's position as a true contender for aviation and aerospace industry investments. This partnership aligns well with the City's regional goals to create a robust aerospace cluster and to improve business and job opportunities for the citizens of Pensacola and Escambia County.
Design and construction of the $46 million dollar project is being made possible through a combination of funds from the State of Florida/Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the City of Pensacola, Escambia County, VT MAE, and the Industry Recruitment, Retention and Expansion Fund.
The newly configured MRO Hangar at the Pensacola International Airport broke ground on October 28, 2016 and construction will last approximately 16 months. The facility is expected to be operational in early 2018.
- Test piles construction completed. Compression test completed.
- ECUA approved 6” waterline tie for use on site. Test results completed and accepted.
- Pile cap excavation initiated and ongoing. Rebar cages for pilings initiated.
- Continuing large scale mulching activities for cleared debris. Mulching to continue for approximately 2 weeks.
- Submitted DRAFT landscape plan and grading plan to subcontractors for pricing.
- Site security established and acceptable to the airport/FAA.
- Dust abatement continuing on site
- Tension and lateral test on test pile.
- Layout on production piling.
- Continuing fabrication work on rebar cages for production piles.
- Continuing excavation on pile caps.
- Continuing mulching operations.
- Clearing/grubbing in wash rack area.
History of VT MAE
- At least 300 New Jobs to be Created with Lease with Aerospace Firm
- City Holds Public Meeting Regarding ST Aerospace Mobile, Inc. Project
- City to Hold a Meeting on Aerospace Lease, Signing Ceremony and Press Event to Follow
- Lease Negotiations to Bring Aerospace Company to Pensacola International Airport
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: